While in Africa they are looking for traces of glaciers (and they find it!), And robots are taught to play jengu, Tesla Ilona Mask is plowing space … by the way, what about it? Let's see, at the same time and on other news for this week, run.
1. It has been exactly 12 months since the first launch of the super-heavy Falcon Heavy launch vehicle. Together with her, the personal car of the company's founder Ilona Mask Tesla Roadster went off into space, and the Starman dummy was at the wheel. The electric car entered a hyperbolic orbit of the Earth and then set off on a journey into distant space.
Where is the car now? The roadster and the driver reached the orbit of Mars in early November last year and are still somewhere around, about 365 million kilometers from Earth. Of course, all conclusions about the location of the car are based solely on mathematical calculations. The machine itself is very small, so that it can be seen even with the help of the most powerful ground-based telescope, and connecting to this case some space telescope, for example, the same Hubble, was a completely unforgivable luxury.
Of course, Tesla with its driver forever will not be able to circle around the Solar System. The “space supercar” will eventually fall either on Venus or on Earth unless it collides with debris or asteroid.
2. Can you believe that once a long time, huge glaciers sailed across the lands of Africa? If we consider that over the long history of the continents greatly changed their location, it may well be. On the territory of the desert country of Namibia, special shaped hills were found, which usually occur in places where glaciers once moved quickly.
As a rule, such hills are found in rather cold countries, such as Canada, Germany, Finland and the island of Greenland. Well, what's surprising? About 300 million years ago, the earth, which is now called Namibia, was somewhere above the South Pole.
So in Africa it was not always hot!
3. Want a joke? Our galaxy was not a flat disk, as previously thought! Closer to the edges of the galaxy becomes more compressed or crumpled "accordion". Scientists believe that this discovery will force us to reconsider our current star maps.
In the course of a new study, astrophysicists confirmed that our galaxy does not look like a flat pancake or even the letter S, as previously indicated maps of the distribution of hydrogen indicate, but has a bizarre shape, whose edges are braided in an unusual crumpled and compressed spiral.
The observation of several thousand stars located in its outer regions helped confirm the unusual shape of our galaxy. The discovery of this unusual form explains many oddities in the behavior of stars on its outskirts and will help to clarify their position, age and other properties. Is that now, textbooks change everything?
4. In the meantime, the development of the first “reusable” aircraft began in Russia. The device will be equipped with a rocket engine 14D30 – it is used on the Briz-M booster blocks. With its help, flights at an altitude of up to 160 kilometers will be possible (the launch of satellites into an orbit with an altitude of up to 500 kilometers). The unmanned rocket plane is designed for at least 50 flights.
The device will not be used for percussion purposes, and only Russian components will be involved in creating the rocket plane. The development of the project of the first "reusable" Russian aircraft cost 55 million rubles. The cost of the second stage of work is estimated at 280 million rubles.
Its unmanned spaceplane is also being developed by the American company Boeing, which produced the X-37B for the US Air Force. After the fifth launch, he spent more than 500 days in orbit. And why are we worse?
5. And the US is looking for a company that will burn tons of secret data. At the disposal of researchers there are about 1.8 tons of IT equipment, among which there are magnetic, optical and solid-state data storage devices. Among the data stored inside them may be information about testing systems of ground weapons and research missiles.
The announcement of the search for a data destruction service provider indicates that all equipment must be “burned down”. On the territory of the burning should be round the clock security and surveillance cameras with the ability to record the date and time. After the conclusion of the contract, the company will have only 10 days to destroy the data. It is expected that the combustion process will take about 8-10 hours, and the contract will be completed before September 30.
It seems we know where it will soon be hot!
This is the main news from the world of high technology for the week. What do you think, when will Tesla fall to Earth? Write about it in our Telegram chat.